I have learned some important lessons while living in Connecticut this week without power. This is DAY 9!!!! Tomorrow will be DAY 6 of no school!!!!
Can you believe it??
Thank Jesus – my mother had power – so as a result there have been anywhere from 6 to 10 people living with her all week.
Here are some Life Lessons learned throughout this trying time:
LIFE LESSON #1 – NOBODY CARES ABOUT CONNECTICUT:
I know people from NY and NJ who think Connecticut is just one big Greenwich. If that’s what people in the tri-state area think – I can only imagine what people from Kansas think.
Is that why nobody cares that we are basically in complete and utter devastation and have no hot water and no heat and the temperature has been in the 20′s some nights?
Is it because you all think of us as people wearing Lily Pulitzer cardigans, wearing a headband and UGGS sitting by the fire with our Burberry blanket and our lap-dog?
Rest assured that we are not all “Greenwich.” – Not even close.
We are tired, cold, filthy and
hungry fat (because Halloween got cancelled so we ate all of the candy because we are depressed!!!)
So there is nothing more offensive than when you wake up from your “bed” (AKA – couch at your mother’s house or sleeping bag on the cold floor) to see Kris Kardashian discussing the breaking news of her daughter’s 72 hour marriage or her new book about her life.
Listen – I have been known to “keep up with” a Kardashian or two – but really????
We are in utter devastation and I have to look at this??
LIFE LESSON #2 - A CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM CAN ACTUALLY SAVE YOUR LIFE:
Upon sleeping in front of a fire for night #1 – we decided it would be good to hook up the generator and plug-in a space heater and a couple of other things. Well apparently you cannot start a generator in your driveway and keep the window open a crack for the wire to plug-in your fridge. I found this out when my trusty carbon monoxide alarm went off and I ran screaming from the house and threw my kids outside into the snow in their pajamas.
“Oh my god – we almost just all fell asleep and died!!” I said to my husband in disbelief. Several people have died or become ill in Connecticut due to this exact problem – I cannot believe I was smart enough (ok – it was probably Mr. Gaga) to install a carbon monoxide alarm and it actually saved our lives!!! If you don’t have one – get one ASAP.
3- LIFE LESSON #3 – CHARGE YOUR SHIT.
Charge your devices people. There’s nothing more disturbing than the power going out and when your kids want to
talk, read a book, use the IPAD, use their Leapster, or use the Nintendo DS, all of said devices need to be charged.
I know what you are thinking – “Oh - I would let them play with my phone.”
Um, make sure those are charged too.
And if your phone is charged use it sparingly. In the cold, dark hours I became quite particular about who I could speak to and for how long. Most conversations have gone as follows:
“Do you have power?”
“No. Do you?”
“When do you think we will get it back on?”
“I don’t know – I haven’t seen any workers, have you?”
“I am going to go to the mental institution now.”
“Ok – tell me when you get power.”
“Ok – you too.”
You can’t be talking in circles like this with every neighbor or friend – when you have one bar left on your phone!!!
After a couple of days – we were tired and had negative bars – we were down to texting….
LIFE LESSON #4 – KERATIN IS MY FRIEND:
I have gotten the Brazilian blowout version of the Keratin treatment necessary to have sleek smooth hair. I have not invested the money or time to get the full treatment – and my blowout from JUNE! is long-gone. As a result my hair is frizzy and disgusting without serums, blowdryers, and flat-irons.
When my husband hooked up the generator the fact that he didn’t even question me when I plugged in the coffee pot and the flat-iron first – indicates to me that it was a dire situation. I looked like a lunatic.